No support for Visual C# Express?

Topics: User Forum
Aug 14, 2006 at 6:43 AM
When I try to install the VS Command Shell it reports that Visual Studio is not installed despite the fact that I use the Express versions of both C# and C++ (which includes a command prompt). Is this a bug of a feature?
Sep 2, 2006 at 7:00 PM
AlanCS: I think it is looking for a Visual Studio 2005 installation, not one of the individual Express editions. Also, it appears that VSCommandShell is a Visual Studio add-in, and add-ins are not supported by the Express Editions.

I'm not on the team, so I can't be absolutely sure about that limitation. That is consistent with other reports I've read, though.
Sep 2, 2006 at 7:05 PM
I said

"I'm not on the team, so I can't be absolutely sure about that limitation. That is consistent with other reports I've read, though."

I am sure that Express Editions do not support plug-ins. I am pretty sure that is how VS Command Shell integrates with Visual Studio.
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2006 at 12:40 AM
As VSCmdShell is implemented as a Visual Studio add-in, it will not work under Express editions. It requires Visual Studio 2005.

Thanks,
Bertan
Sep 8, 2006 at 9:07 AM
The Express Editions of Visual Studio does not support the VSIP program (Integration add-ins by Visual Studio Industry Partner).